What is a blog?
- Blog: A shortening of the term weblog. It is created when people start logging their individual opinions, links to other sites, etc. on a regular basis. This page is an example of a blog post.
- Content usually organized by date and category. The most recent post/content displays first.
- Before you start blogging, choose a topic about which you are passionate and fairly knowledgeable about.
Free weblog maker?
- Downsides to using a free blog maker:
- Companies who offer “free” blog makers have to make money somehow. They may put ads on your blog. They may sell you upgrades.
- May have severe restrictions. E.g.: Not being able to advertise on your own website
- May be able to make money blogging if you avoid the free blog maker
Blog hosting with a monthly fee
- Income Activator allows you to use PPC and other forms of advertising
- Charge $30/month and give you a large number of advertising tools to help you make money blogging.
- Personally, I never made much money with Income Activator. After a year and a half I switched to WordPress. Perhaps you can figure out how to do it.
- LiquidNet Ltd Hosting costs less but no advertising tools to help you make money blogging
- I have been creating websites since 1996 and have had many different web hosts. LiquidNet is my favorite.
- LiquidNet has WordPress. You are looking at a WordPress blog post right now.
Earn a percentage of the selling price for every book sold.
- Create a new page
- Use descriptive name for menu title.
- This will show up in your main menu.
- Use a 2-column template.
- Narrow column on right.
- First entry is entertaining and tells purpose of blog.
- Advertising can be below first entry.
- Daily entries in left column
- Possibly add author
- Add date
- Most recent entries on top
- Allow comments on page
- Each page has 300-500 pages. After that a new page.
- You may want to use Twitter for your table of contents
Start your weblog today with these WordPress tips
One of Joseph Montes’ Google Plus posts is full of WordPress blogging tips. Read them on his http://elitemarketingpro.net weblog.
Glossary of Blogging
Wikipedia.org also says: As far as company-run websites go, niche blogs are an effective marketing tool due to their more organic, less sale-oriented nature. By providing useful content for users, like guides and user experiences, rather than just pitching sales, niche blogs encourage product and brand awareness, and are therefore popular in a range of industries as an addition to company websites. Read more.
- Click on Installer > Applications Installer
- This set of WordPress installation instructions assume that are using
LiquidNet Ltd Hosting for your web host. If you are using a different host, the instructions may or may not be similar.
- Click on WordPress link
- More detailed instructions on WordPress installation page
- After finished installing, return to this page starting with free WordPress plugins.
Free WordPress Plugins
- Before you start blogging, you will want
- Spam protection. (I use Akismet.)
- SEO (search engine optimization). (I recommend and use Yoast SEO.)
- A contact form (I use and recommend Contact Form to Email.) and
- A sitemap to help the search engines find you. Google XML Sitemap is recommended.
- To get these features on your WordPress site, go to the free WordPress plugins page
- Enter plugin subject into search box
To learn more about making your weblog, go to the next page
Peter Enns has been developing websites since 1996. He is a social media blogger and author of a free YouTube tutorial. It’s called 7 Day YouTube and will teach you how to make entertaining videos & animated GIFs.